Well, hey there, forgotten muscles!
Here are 5 best moves moves for activating your muscles in totally new ways. All of these exercises expose your body to new movements like rotations and lateral and multi-directional movements, which engage the muscles you might forget about during your go-to gym routine.
Since these moves are unique, be sure to start each set with lighter weights, as noted below, so you can get the hang of the move without injuring yourself.
Complete one set of the moves below in order, without resting in between sets. After finishing one set of all the exercises, rest for one minute. Then, repeat the sequence two to four more times for an incredible workout!
Exercise #1: Kettlebell Windmill
Forgotten Muscle Activated: transverse abdominus (the muscle responsible for keeping your abs flat)
- Stand with a six-to nine-pound kettlebell in your right hand and your feet placed just wider than your shoulders.
- Pull the kettlebell up to your right shoulder so that your elbow is close to your side and the weight hangs behind your hand.
- Press the kettlebell overhead, and stand tall
- Imagine you are standing with your back to a wall, and reach your left hand down towards your left foot. Keep your right shoulder open so that the kettlebell extends upward, directly over your right shoulder. Pause at the bottom with your shoulders stacked and your chest open
- Hold for two seconds. Return to standing with the weight at your side.
- That’s one rep.
- Repeat the move for 15 reps, then switch sides.
Exercise #2: Lateral Bound with Pause
- Stand with your feet hip distance apart, your knees slightly bent, and your arms in front of your left side.
- Push off of your left leg and explosively jump to your right, landing on your right leg. Without touching your left leg to the ground, hold this position for two seconds.
- Then, use your right leg to explosively push off and jump to your left, landing on your left leg.
- Without touching your right leg to the ground, hold this position for two seconds. That’s one rep.
- Repeat the move for 10 reps.
Forgotten Muscle Activated: your inner thighs
Exercise #3: Plank with Arm Extension
Forgotten Muscle Activated: your mid-back
- Begin in the plank position with your forearms on the ground with your elbows directly under your shoulders and your feet together.
- Brace your core.
- Without moving your hips, lift your left hand, and extend your left arm forward so that it’s parallel with the floor.
- Hold for five seconds, then return to the starting position. That’s one rep.
- Continue alternating arms for a total of 10 reps.
Exercise #4: Suspended Overhead Triceps Extensions
Forgotten Muscle Activated: the long head of your triceps and your serratus (along the sides of your ribs)
- Using a TRX suspension system, stand with the anchor point of the strap behind you, above your head.
- Stand with your feet together, and hold the handles above your head with your palms facing forward.
- Slowly lean forward until you feel tension in your abs and arms.
- Rise up on the balls of your feet, and bend your elbows until your hands are behind your head and your elbows are at a 90-degree angle.
- Pause for two seconds. Then, press yourself back to the starting position. That’s one rep.
- Do 15 reps.
Exercise #5: Kettlebell Halo
Forgotten Muscles Activated: anterior deltoids (the front of your shoulders) and subscapularis (your shoulder blades)
- Stand holding a six-to nine-pound kettlebell in both hands and your feet hip-distance apart.
- Raise the kettlebell so that it’s in front of your chest and your arms are extended with your elbows bent.
- Keeping both elbows bent, slowly circle the kettlebell around your head to your right. That’s one rep.
- Complete 5 reps and immediately reverse directions for 5 more reps. That’s one set.